by Judith Bergman • March 31, 2016 at 5:00 am
- Erdogan has boasted that he is proud of boldly blackmailing EU leaders into paying him protection money.
- Erdogan’s threats were almost criminally sinister: "… the EU will be confronted with more than a dead boy on the shores of Turkey. There will be 10,000 or 15,000. How will you deal with that?"
- According to the agreement, 80 million Turkish citizens will have visa-free access to the European Union.
- The nightmare scenario for a desperate EU is that no matter how much it bows to extortionist demands from Turkey, the migrant crisis will continue to grow. Even if Turkey closes down all migrant routes from Turkey into Europe, refugees could take new routes through North Africa or the Caucasus.
- Meanwhile, 800,000 migrants are currently on Libyan territory waiting to cross the Mediterranean, according to French Defense Minister Jean-Yves le Drian.